Monday, August 22, 2011

Rice and Sausage

My husband's favorite meal growing up was rice and sausage. His mom would make it using cream of mushroom from a can. For my hubby's 30th birthday he asked if I could try to make a gluten free/dairy free version of his favorite meal. It turned out great and we shared it with his brother, my bestie and their family. I don't have pictures but here's the recipe I came up with:

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup butter (I used Good Earth dairy free)
1/2 cup flour (gluten free multipurpose flour)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
about 1 1/2 cups Pacific Natural Foods mushroom broth (I actually didn't measure this, just added until the texture was right... I also added a little water so it wouldn't taste too mushroom/salty.
1/2 cup milk.
1lb or more of Italian sausage
1 can of sliced olives
2 cups rice

Brown Italian sausage and set aside.
Melt butter in pan and saute onions until soft and slightly brown.
Add flour and stir until bubbles.
Slowly add mushroom broth and a little water. Stir.
Add milk and bring back up to a boil.
Stir in Italian sausage and olives.
Pour over rice or mix rice in and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment