Monday, August 22, 2011

Chicken a la King

This is a dish my mom would make while I was growing up. I was a picky eater but loved this one. I'm still working on getting Kayden to eat it. Usually what I do is set aside some chicken and plain rice for Kayden. Our rule is he has to try one bite of dinner before he can eat his alternative.

Ingredients:

2 cups chicken, cooked and torn apart. I like to use chicken tenders. I season them with lemon juice and lemon pepper then bake them in a dish at 375F for about 25 mins. Cool and tear apart.
1/2 cup butter (I use Earth Balance)
1/2 cup flour (I use multipurpose purpose gluten free flour blend)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp instant chicken bouillon (I am still on the hunt for a gluten free/casein free/potato free product. Instead I add a little bit of curry and it tastes great.)
1 1/2 cup milk (I use flax, rice or soy)
lemon juice to taste
lemon pepper to taste
mushrooms, bell peppers, pimentos or any veggie you'd like. Last time I made this I used a frozen stir fry and it was soo yummy!

1. Melt butter in pan at medium heat and saute chosen veggies for about 5 mins.
2. Add flour, salt and pepper. Stirring constantly until it bubbles.
3. Slowly add 1 1/2 cups of hot water, stirring constantly.
4. Add instant chicken bouillon (or in my case, curry), stir.
5. Add milk and bring back up to a boil, stirring constantly.
6. Stir in chicken, pimentos (honestly, I've never added these... I think my mom liked the color they added), lemon juice to taste and lemon pepper to taste.

Serve over rice, noodles, biscuits, etc. We always eat it with rice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment