Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bread

I needed a good bread that Kayden could have for sandwiches. I remember Kayden's doctor telling me at his 2 year check up that if I could get him to at least eat peanut butter sandwiches, he'll be all right (he's always been a picky eater). As I mentioned before, I was already on the gluten free diet but with that I gave up eating bread. There are gluten free breads but they just don't taste the same as wheat and are super expensive... so I gave that up all together. For Kayden, bread seemed like a must have since he lives off of peanut butter sandwiches. The problem I was running into was most of the breads and bread mixes that are GF have potato flour or starch in it, Kayden is allergic to potatoes. After a bunch of research, I found Namaste Foods makes a gluten free bread mix. You can find the link here.

I was able to buy the bread mix at Lingonberries Market. It was also available at Whole Foods Market. It cost me $5.99 at Lingonberries (Whole Foods cost more). The mix makes one loaf. Spendy compared to wheat bread but reasonable for a GF bread. I found Amazon sells the mixes too. You can buy it in bulk (6 bags). If you do Amazon's Prime combined with Subscribe and Save it totals out to a little under $5 a loaf (if I remember correctly).

I could also look into what it would cost to buy my flours in bulk and create my own flour mixture. I figure I'd wait and see how much flour I actually use to see if it's worth it. I don't have a lot of freezer space and I'd hate for the flour to go bad before I use it.

Anyway! We've made 3 loafs so far and it's worked great! Kayden loves the bread and for me, it was so nice to eat bread again! It's been perfect for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I try to slice it as thin as I can to make the loaf last longer. So far one loaf lasts us about 3 days. This last loaf I made is lasting a little longer. I don't know if it's because we're getting sick of it or just eating different stuff. I did notice that after 3 days, the bread isn't as moist and will start to be more crumbly.

Oh, I guess I should note that I've been making the bread in my bread machine. I haven't dared to try and make it the old fashioned way and a blog I read swears that the result are the same. I cleaned out my old bread machine and (hopefully) made it gluten free... I haven't felt sick yet and usually I do if there is cross contamination. It's really easy to do it this way. I just dump all the ingredients in... liquids first, then the mix and add yeast on top. The first loaf I made I just did a regular bread cycle. It turned out okay but didn't rise as well as I would have hoped. I think it was maybe 4 inches long. I read on a blog that GF bread doesn't need two rise cycles and to use a rapid cycle when baking. So I tried that on my next loaf and it worked beautifully! I swear it almost doubled in size.

Kayden is happy with his "special" bread and it definitely helped smooth the transition into his new diet! Next time I bake our bread I'll take a pic to show you.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jess! Question for ya, I was wondering how well you can tolerate oatmeal? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that Oats don't contain gluten but can be contaminated with it. The reason why I ask is cause I use oat flour for everything. And I make it myself with organic oats. If you, or Kayden, can tolerate it, I might have some yummy recipes for you to try. Let me know :) <3 Hailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. @H2

    Hi Hailey! Oats is one of those things I haven't explored yet. Technically I can probably have them as long as they were processed on gluten free equipment. I believe Bob's Red Mill makes oats that are GF. I would definitely love to try some of your recipes! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete