Monday, August 22, 2011

Cheezits


I saw this recipe on Pinterest and thought I'd give it a try. Here's a link if you want to go check it out. I adjusted the recipe to what I had in my cupboard so here it is:

3/4 cup of all purpose GF flour (mine has xanthum gum in it)
4 oz of Daiya shredded cheddar cheese
4 Tbs of Earth Balance dairy free butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbs of milk (I usually use flax milk but this time I had soy milk)

  • Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  • Combine all the ingredients, except the milk, in a medium size-bowl. Mix until the mixture resembles a fine crumb. Add the milk and beat well.
  • On a lightly greased surface (I used my Silpat instead), pat or roll the dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 3/4 inch squares or another small shape that you like. You can also cut the dough into larger round or square shapes, just extend the cooking time.
  • Prick the tops of the crackers with a fork and sprinkle lightly with your desired topping (I just used salt). Bake on the prepared baking sheet until golden brown and crisp, approximately 10 minutes. The crackers will be light and crispy, although barely browning at the edges. The bottom of the crackers will have a bit more color.
I thought I rolled my dough thin enough but when it came time to cooking these babies they puffed up in the oven and took longer to cook. Next time I'll make the dough thinner and also the squares smaller. I also didn't make my crackers in a perfect pretty shape... I was too lazy busy doing laundry and scrubbing toilets to take the effort to make them look picture perfect. Plus, I'm glad I didn't do all the extra pretty work... the crackers didn't taste all that great and Kayden did not like them. I don't know if it was b/c we're not used to the Daiya cheese or just because nothing will ever replace the gluten-filled goodness of Cheezits. I also baked it on my Silpat so I don't know if that made a difference as well.

I may retry this recipe again... we'll see. If you do decide to try it, will you let me know how it turns out?

0 comments:

Post a Comment